Tuesday, February 9, 2010

sacrifices

Sometimes you have to sacrifice things.

Sometimes it's for a better cause. The greater good.

Like moving to Arizona so Joe can get an MBA.

Sometimes it doesn't make sense and goes against your whole soul, but you have to sacrifice anyway.

Like with not being able to recycle here in Arizona.

I have to throw away perfectly recyclable things, like glass, #1 plastic, cardboard and paper.

Just toss it in the trash.

Even when we were kids and it wasn't popular, we recycled newspapers and Daddy's Dr. Pepper bottles.

For the first few days I let all the recyclable things pile up in the kitchen because I couldn't bear to throw them into the dumpster. It got to the point I couldn't move around the small kitchen without knocking over my carefully constructed piles.

I finally let Joe take them out.

And now I just toss.

My soul cries out every time.

And I hope it always does.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Teeenie!
That's terrible. That's what happened when I was at school! No place to recycle! Although, I would save up as much stuff as I could take up to campus to recycle. Probably a lot of trouble, but I did it anyway. When I learned there was a glass recycling place up in Salt Lake I started saving my glass. I never made my way up there. I've still got the glass stored away in buckets...

ellen said...

Is it 1950 in Arizona?

Harriet Toothfighter said...

Oh, I feel your pain. Except that we have great recycling here. Why doesn't Arizona have recycling? That's pretty much the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life.

Biz said...

Good News! Glendale has a no-cost recycling drop-off! Here's the link to the page on the city's website:

http://www.glendaleaz.com/Sanitation/Recycling/recyclingdropoff.cfm

There are pages that tell what is recyclable. It would appear that it's just your apartment complex that's the problem, not the whole city.

Whew.

yours truly said...

oh, your post made my soul cry!

cay said...

Bizzy is the hero of the day!!

One of today's adventures will be to find the drop off center.

No big deal.

I have cute recycle bags and a car.

Bill and Mandy Guidry said...

That is how I feel here in St George....except that today I found a drop off recycle place and dropped off ALL my cardboard from my Costco trip. It made me feel human again. :)