Tuesday, February 9, 2010

dinner 1.1

One of the goals while living here in the desert is to learn how to cook. Not bake, cook.

Preferably without a cookbook. To become familiar enough with ingredients and processes to be able to look in the fridge and cupboards and be able to fix something tasty for dinner. Or lunch.

Last night was a little rough and I ended up relying on an old classic: shrimp tacos. Sadly our delicious cajun spices from New Orleans didn't make the move. Or if they did they have not yet been unpacked. So the tacos were tasty, but not the best. Since it was an old recipe, we're not really counting it for the new cooking experience.

Tonight, however, I went out on a limb and made corn chowder from scratch, roughly following Martha Stewart's recipe. (Because Heath's is for clam chowder, or I would have used it.) And I made some cheesy puffs (ie: cream puffs with cheese in them).

Of course we had it with bacon. Pomp wouldn't have it any other way.

I wanted to take pictures, but we ate instead.

I claim the first cooking experience a success.

Joe was very happy and went back to school with a full stomach.

Maybe next time there will be pictures.

Dinner 1.1 = success

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Huzzah! I'm glad we do a lot of things in honor of Pomp these days. Why not? He's Pomp! Tirza and I made a pinewood derby car made with Pomp's tools -- pretty much in honor of Pomp!

Harriet Toothfighter said...

I love corn chowder. I was planning on blogging that recipe. Looks like you don't need it!