Saturday, February 20, 2010

happy birthday to me

Blue berry muffins will be enjoyed pre-dinner tonight.

Though they're still in the oven and I haven't even cleaned the dishes from the mixing, I'm confident they will be delicious. The batter was divine. I licked the spoon. And the bowl. And I'm not even hungry: I had dulce de leche ice cream for lunch.

For my birthday a few months ago, Erica gave me an awesome cookbook, BakeWise. It won the James Beard Award for Best Baking and Dessert Cookbook in 2009, so it's no joke. The subtitle: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking. It's like a nerdy text book that tells you why certain ingredients work in certain recipes and not in others. And how an oven heats and why you should bake on a stone. She'slike a nerdy grandma who is awesome. And of course it's full of delicious recipes.

And I finally got around to baking something from it.

Blueberries and Cream Muffins.

Anything that calls for buttermilk is going to be delicious. But folding in whipped cream on top of that?

I'm so excited. They're already starting to smell perfect.

1 comment:

Erica said...

oooh. i'll have to try that one! i've only tried one of the bread recipes so far. also very good. although it probably would have been better had i actually had a french bread pan...