Thursday, February 25, 2010

bags

This week I had my first sewing lesson with Mrs. Webb and her adorable little sidekick.

As a "welcome to the desert!" gift, Mr. Yin bought me a sewing machine to keep me company when he was working away at the library day after day after day. Please meet Sewing Pretty With Hello Kitty:

Despite looking like a toy, she's actually quite a workhorse with a zippy motor. Just like the big cats. And perfectly portable.

For our first lesson I wanted to make produce bags. You know, so I don't have to get plastic bags ever time I buy veggies. Luckily my friend Ellen posted a link to the perfect tutorial just that morning!

Armed with the tutorial, Sewing Pretty With Hello Kitty, a pair of scissors, some muslin and some orange thread I headed out to the east valley. I am happy to report Mrs. Webb is an able teacher and as proof I share a detail shot (I still need to add the drawstrings) of my bags:


(And a photo of the very quick sidekick.)

3 comments:

ellen said...

I've used one of those cute machines and I want one! They are better than the cheap-O Singer that I bought as my back-up. You sew now; what are you going to do next?

Harriet Toothfighter said...

Sewing pretty with Hello Kitty.

It kills me.

Ada and Alice would die. (For some unknown reason, they love Hello Kitty.)

I miss you.

Biz said...

Tosher can sew! Yay! We can all watch Steffy sew her own wedding dress and we can all now appreciate how good she is.

Remember when you made a patchwork quilt and I taught you the most important skill in sewing?

Pucker. It cures many sewing ills.