Tuesday, February 16, 2010

on being outside

Normally in February I try to stay inside as much as possible. And when I'm outside, try to be as bundled as possible. With everything covered and tucked in so no unexpected breezes can come surprise me. And boots. Warm boots make all the difference.

But now that I live in the desert, February is a time to get out and enjoy the gorgeous weather and leave the windows open when I'm home.

Yesterday I ventured out to the bike path that is just around the corner and biked for a good 90 minutes or so. The sky was blue, the sun was shining and it felt great to get out there and make my own wind.

I rode past a horse farm and an orange grove, a farm farm, and then more orange groves. I also rode past lots of houses and strip malls.

The bike path is really a canal that fills up when it rains. (Mr. Yin claims it was full a few weeks ago when it rained off and on for a week.) And there are signs warning of flash floods. There are also parks along the way. Parks of cacti and desert foliage. Parks without grass and trees mean sketchy in my experience, so I'm working on getting used to desert parks.

But I love the kind of temperature that feels like nothing when you walk outside for the first time. Not hot, not cold. Just perfect.

That is this week in the desert.

4 comments:

ellen said...

There's snow in Boston...I love the seasons. I love the seasons. I love the seasons. I keep telling myself that. :)

Erica said...

Can we come visit?

Biz said...

Enjoy the weather now, because summer in the desert is the stay inside time of year. But instead of cranking up the heat, you'll be cranking up the AC!

Diana said...

Oh my gosh, that sounds so heavenly! I wish it was that nice here in Boston right now. But as Ellen said...seasons..