Friday, February 17, 2012

Heath's challenge


Unbeknownst to her, I've decided to join Heath on her daily blogging for the rest of February. Does that mean I have tons of interesting things to write? Probably not. Unless you think the daily life of Teddy is very interesting. It's not a bad life, and he seems to enjoy it. But I do feel it might be more interesting if we lived in a city and could get out more regularly.

That being said, we did go into the city twice in one week two weeks ago. There is a bus that stops right in front of our complex that goes to Port Authority in NYC. Easy peasy. Teddy Bear does great on the bus, thanks to snacks and the Kindle.

My only regret about those two trips is that my boy hasn't taken his regular naps since all the excitement. Is he looking for more fun? More friends? I don't know. All I know is he used to sleep twice in the day, once at nine and again at one; both for 1.5 hours.

These days I'm lucky to get one 1.5 hour nap and then another 2 hours of playing in his crib, singing and talking to his toys.

Sounds like he's ready to drop to one nap, right? Well then why is it that when we do just one nap, that nap is only 45 minutes?

Take today, for example. Because of yesterday's disastrous attempt at two naps, which yielded one, hour nap in the morning and only 45 minutes of crib play time in the afternoon, I decided today I'd wear him out physically and then do one big nap in the afternoon. So we went outside. He climbed up and down the stairs on the playground, he swung, he crawled all over the wet ground, played with sticks and leaves, smashed some worms, and then crawled back to our apartment in his wet (from the ground) pants. And that got us a 45 minute nap.

Are you kidding me? 45 minutes? We were done with 45 minute naps months ago! But they've made their return.

I blame the cold. And the tooth. The tooth that has been threatening to make is appearance for almost a month now. A big, nasty bi-cuspid that is still just bulging under his gum, mocking me. The best part? He still has three of those bi-cuspids to go. And then the molars. (Which, coincidently, were supposed to come in before the bi-cusbids. But my boy had never done much in his life that was "by the book".)

Anyway. It's frustrating. The naps. The teeth.

But not the boy himself. He woke up the other morning and I brought him to our bed, like I always do, and he gave both Mr. Yin and I unsolicited kisses.

7 comments:

becahdawn said...

Hooray! Maybe I need to accept Heather's challenge as well?

I just want you to know that Calvin is, right now, singing in his crib instead of sleeping. I really don't know about this whole transition to one nap, but I'm told it might lead to longer nightime sleep, and one long nap in the afternoon. I am holding out hope, so please don't anybody dash my delusional vision of sleep nirvana.

I don't have anything useful to say except that I love that little boy, I love little boys in our bed in the morning, and I love unsolicited kisses!!!

Mommy said...

I think you should all accept Heather's challenge. I need more blog posts about the cutest babies and kids in the world! Keep 'em coming!

Biz said...

Just when you think you have a good routine down, kids always go and change things on you. That's about the only thing you can count on with babies!

Please, all you moms of babies, post more! I love hearing about all their new developments, though it makes me sad I can't see them in person. I love all the babies we have in our family.

Harriet Toothfighter said...

I like it when you blog! I didn't even know I was being inspiring! That's fun.

I'm wicked sorry about the naps. Clara's naps are so screwed up because of the other schedules in our house and it's making me a little crazy. Tonight she actually went down earlier than she has been recently because she only had a couple of really short naps. I like long afternoon naps. It's the only time I ever get anything done. Here's hoping that Tiny Teddy figures out the nap thing!

Unknown said...

I will not fully disclose the amount of time (or lack there of) that Ruth spends napping during the day. It's depressing. Especially for her mother. Oh Teeth! Oh wretched Teeth!

Unknown said...

Can I just say, it took four tries to get my comment posted. These work puzzley things are nigh unto impossible.

Heather said...

Here's a suggestion for those of you dealing with non-nappers: a book called Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Weisbluth. Of course, it's not guaranteed to get your kid to nap, but he sure offers some great suggestions, especially on the transitioning phases. He is a proponent of the "cry it out" method. But even if you don't agree with that style, there is a lot of good advice to take away from his book.

How about a video of Tiny Ted? I'd love to see him in action!!