Sunday, February 26, 2012

compromise

We live in an apartment with huge white walls and they're mostly bare. Most of our art is still in storage in AZ (thanks Brit!), and the few pieces of art that did make their way to NJ (again, thanks Brit!) with Wall-e, were only hung this weekend. We know we're lame. But we thought we were going to be moving apartments so thought why hang art if we just have to move in a few weeks?. Well, we're staying here now. Smokey moved out, and Loud Girl and her parents moved in. (We'll save that for another post.) So we're staying.

Anyway. Living in our white box has us craving a lot of color. Bold color. We decided we'd go for nice jewel tones in our living room. (After we geniusly bought an off-white couch to live in our white apartment. It was too good of a deal, we couldn't turn it down: $388 for a small sleeper sofa sectional from Crate and Barrel outlet? Yes please.) So I made a few pillows with some bold green and purple Marimekko fabric (also from the Crate and Barrel Outlet) to get us started. We got some dark purple curtains at Ikea, only to open them a few weeks later and notice they were more brown than purple. Not just "more brown", they're full on brown. So they got moved to the dining room. And the living room remains curtain-less.

This whole time Mr. Yin and I have been looking for rugs at various places. I insist we get natural fabrics in rugs, so wool was mostly what we were looking at. Bold, wool rugs in patterns we both like are not easy to come by.

One day, Mr. Yin was looking online and found a few modern rugs he really liked. They were wool. For some reason he was dead-set on getting a rug and thought these deals were too good to pass up. I think he caught me on a night I was emotionally spent trying to get the lad to take a nap. And I just didn't care about the colors in our living room, so when he wanted to get this rug, I said fine.



It's Tangerine Tango (or I'm telling myself it is). That means the only color we currently have in our living room is our green throw pillow, our purple throw pillow and our orange rug. That's not exactly what I was thinking when I said I wanted our living room to be accented with jewel tones.

Seriously. Someone make me a mood board for me?

PS I like the rug, it's just asking me to rethink the entire color scheme we have (or don't have) going on here.




4 comments:

Chris said...

I totally like the rug. What site was it on? We got a couple of runners from fab.com and they were cheap but I'm worried...you just can't tell from the web what colors you're going to get.

I don't know what a mood board is but I'm happy to get moody if you like.

Please post about the loud girl and her parents next.

Heather said...

It's so hard to decide on decorating. I stew about it forever and then end up with a neutral palette where I add color by season via pillows and decor. I would love to see the living room when you've got it all set!

ellen said...

I like the rug. Using lots of colors is all the rage these days.

becahdawn said...

I love the rug! It's so fun!!! Tangerine Tango, indeed!