Thursday, March 3, 2011

sleepy time




After writing a big post about writing more, I sat down to write and I can't think of anything to write!

So we'll talk about sleeping.

One of the first questions people ask about Tedmundo is "How does he sleep?".

Why people care, I don't know. I'm sure I asked the same questions to some new, sleep-deprived mom before. But why? Do they really want the full story? It's a many nuanced reply if it's to be sincere. But can't they tell by looking at me wether or not it was a good night? If my hair is wet and combed (ie. I opted for a shower instead of a nap), it was a good night. If I'm my hair is a frizzball around my head and I'm wearing the same shirt I did yesterday, it probably wasn't a good night.

Truth be told (and since maybe you would ask the same question!) the babe has been sleeping lately. (Knock on wood! Seriously find some wood and knock on it. Do it. I need my sleep!) Last week he slept three nights in a row for six straight hours. This week he's gone one eight hour, one six hour and one seven hour night. In a row. I never thought I'd be so happy about six hours of sleep.

I do have to play mind games with myself. Every night when I put him down I say "Okay, time for a 20 minute nap." Then anything beyond 20 minutes feels like a gift.

Napping has been another story. We've started to figure out a nap routine wherein he naps about an hour after waking up for the day around 8. Then again around 11ish, then around 3:30ish and then again around 7 ish. Sure it's odd to take a nap at 7 o'clock at night. But we've had luck going to sleep sleep around 10, so we stick with it. Trying to lay him down before 10 just results in me trying to put his down for 2.5 hours. And that makes for two tired, grumpy people. Plus then his six hour sleep has him waking up at 4 instead of 2 or 3. So I'll take it. And who knows, maybe one day that 7 o'clock nap will turn into bed time and he'll sleep until the morning!

Getting him to sleep has been an adventure. One that ends best in the Ergo Baby. (I cannot thank my sister-in-law enough for recommending it, and then for gifting it to us!) It works so well I need to find a carrier that he doesn't fall asleep in so I can carry him all day and not have to worry about him going to sleep at night. Recently he's stopped fighting sleep so much and will nod right off while we're holding him, as long as he's faced out. No snuggling. And the other day I needed to do something and put him down on the Boppy and he fell asleep after fussing (not crying--that breaks my heart and I whisk him right up--yes, I am that kind of mother. But if you saw his sad face, you'd do the same.) and then slept for about 30 minutes. And the other day he took his 7 o'clock nap in the stroller as we walked to and from campus for a dinner. Our options seem to be expanding!

So there you have it. Sleeping. Yes he does it. But like everything with a baby, I'm learning, it could all change tomorrow. In the meantime I'm grateful for whatever sleep I can get.

Note: No, that isn't the magical Ergo Baby. It's a wrap I borrowed from the Lactation Consultant. Despite his cute sleepy face, he did not love it.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Have you read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child? It's a great book! Not everyone agrees with it, but it has been the method that's worked for us. if nothing else, it's great to read about sleep for kids in general. It took Nathan over a year to sleep through the night. I was an absolute mess by the time he finally did!

Megan said...

Are you whining? You can still get 8 hours of sleep a night. So what if it's in 1-hour increments? :) The "20 minute nap" Jedi mind trick is very smart. Wish I had thought of that!

We like The Sleep Easy Solution. It worked pretty well for us once Phebe was old enough to be sleeping through the night. She still does pretty well now.

Better knock on wood for both of us!