Monday, March 21, 2011

Heath*



(*That's "Heath" as in the first part of "Heather" not, "heath" as in "Heath Bar Crunch".)

Heather was the second person from my family to get to meet and snuggle Edmund in person. My mom being the first. She got that privilege when he was just ten days old.



Heath was kind enough to leave her two adorable girls behind in snowy New England with their dad and hop on a plane to the Valley of the Sun.

We're good friends, Heath and I. And it was awesome to have her here. Mostly I just wanted to sit around and talk to her and have her adore my baby. And sometimes hold him. It turns out I get a little jealous when other people hold him, even if I've been holding him all day. Good grief. I'm obsessed. She certainly adored him. She agreed he's 1000x cuter in person than in the pictures.



I felt like we got out and about and did tons of stuff, but for someone with two active little girls, it probably felt like we did a lot of sitting around feeding.



We did go to a spring training game, Mariners v. Reds. We sat on the lawn. Well, Heather and Mr. Yin sat on the lawn and I stood and walked around with Master Edmund in the Ergo to keep him asleep (it was nap time after all). It's funny to go to games that aren't Red Sox games. They're so chill and relaxing. You hardly know there is a game going on. Especially at spring training. And especially in the lawn. For future reference, when you have a baby in tow you get to bring all kinds of food and water in your bag even if your baby is still just nursing. We got to snack on apples instead of hot dogs. Truth be told, we did stop at In n' Out Burger right before for some heartier fare. And milkshakes.





She was here when my little guy got sick and we took him to the doctor. She was a sport and even accompanied us to the appointment, in Yin family tradition. He wasn't totally himself that weekend, so not as many smiles and kicky feet as usual. But she got a pretty good share. He is pretty smiley and kicky. He might have also been a little confused at the woman that kind of looks like his milkmaid and kind of sounds like his milkmaid, but doesn't provide the milk.



We did a bit of shopping and she even bought the boy some cute new clothes. He was born in the year of the tiger, so he has a tiger outfit now.

One thing she really wanted to do was go to Cafe Rio to satisfy the hankerin' she had for some Cafe Rio pork. After the trip to the doctors, we dropped Mr. Yin (aka Mr. Study Pants) off at school and headed east with the address typed into the GPS. I've never mentioned our GPS before. Probably because I hate it. It fails me all the time. Sends me on the most roundabout routes and asks me to exit on exits that don't actually exist. And yet I keep using it. This time the GPS--I hate it so much it doesn't even have a name--landed us in no-man's land about 30 minutes from the actual destination. Enter Brittany, a true friend and Mesa resident with internet access. She kindly guided us to the actual location and we were able to enjoy some of the aforementioned pork. It was tasty, but not quite as tasty as college memories allow. In college everything is awesome.



We then headed to Brittany's to thank her in person and show off Tedmundo a little bit. She's a big fan of his. As is her cute daughter. We sat around chatting and I fed the lad. After his feast, he had a big blow out while Brittany's husband, Matt, was bouncing him. That's my boy! During our chat, I mentioned how I wanted to get the little man a Bumbo so he could join me in my pursuits of baking and sewing, since he's so curious and loves to see what everyone is up to. It just so happens Brit's daughter had just out-grown her Bumbo and they let us borrow it. Hurray for saving a few bucks! Little Abby was so excited to share, she kept sharing and brought out all of her favorite toys out and piled them up on Edmund. It was pretty adorable.

We also visited some old college friends who just moved into the area. We haven't seen them (or met their three boys) in about nine years. It's funny how people change and stay the same. It's also funny how seeing people from a different part of your life brings back floods of memories. There were some doosies seeing as how both of these friends were in the acting program with me.


One thing Heath really wanted while she was here was some fresh citrus. Turns out they don't sell local citrus in the supermarkets. We checked. I sent an email out to the ward seeing if anyone knew where to get some, and it didn't go out until it was too late and all gazillion responses I had inviting us to come over and pick all the citrus we could ever want from peoples' trees came just 15 minutes after we left for the airport. Boo. (Edmunton and I did go pick the next day, and fresh citrus is tasty! And super juicy. Turns out it's the end of the season, things really start up in November. Note that for next year if we're still here.)



We loved having Auntie Heath come visit. She's also known as San Yi, in case you were wondering what her Chinese name is. Everyone needs a Chinese name.

I had two goals before Heather came: vacuum and put the sewing machine away. Neither happened. She pretended not to mind. That's a good sister.

7 comments:

Harriet Toothfighter said...

I just want to note that I look fat in those pictures because I'm pregnant. Like fourteen weeks pregnant in those pictures. Just for reference. And those pants weren't very flattering.

And I like how Edmund looks in his tiger shirt. It's awesome.

And, my word verification is "unsistr" which isn't appropriate at all since I'm not an un-sister. I'm a real sister.

And I miss you.

Brittany said...

Love the tiger outfit. Glad the bumbo worked out. Your GPS is crazy.

Biz said...

What an abundance of chubby cuteness!

Megan said...

Heath, I think it's funny that you announced your news here before you did on your own blog. Good news should be shouted from the rooftops, I say!

Tini, no matter which pictures you post of Edmundo, I will always think he's the cutest thing ever.

Erica said...

What's your Chinese name, C?

cay said...

Mama. With flat tones.

Mr. Yin is Baba.

Heather said...

All the Taiwanese people laughed at my Chinese name - too formal sounding, I guess. But hey, an English person gave it to me. Song Wei Xian.

I'm so glad to hear you had such a nice time with each other. I love visiting with my sister. I miss her soooo much. Maybe that's why we talk on the phone nearly every day.