Friday, April 2, 2010

upside-down farmers market


Farmers markets here in the desert run from October -May. In Boston they run from June-October. So we only have a couple of months left for farmers markets!

The other day we ventured up to the market and ended up with some kale, scallions, asparagus and artichokes. Though truth be told there were far more food artisans than farmers. But I did learn agave is used as a sweetener. Like unto maple syrup and honey.

Last night I turned the kale into baked kale chips. Joe made omelets for breakfast with the scallions and will sprinkle them in his noodles and various other concoctions. The asparagus is for Easter dinner. And the artichokes are for fun.

Having never prepared an artichoke, I threw one into a pot of boiling water and let it do its thing. It was quite tasty, but a lot of work for not much food. The heart is being saved for artichoke heart pizza.

What was more fascinating than the artichoke itself was the dark green water left in the pot after its bath. Dark green water.

Since Easter is right around the corner, some dyed eggs were in order.

5 comments:

Diana said...

What the what? Kale chips? Never heard of such a thing, but I must try it! Darn, I just threw out some kale a few days ago, too, after making white bean and kale soup.

Biz said...

Holy Cow Tini, I am not kidding you at all when I say that I also made baked kale chips last night! I made two different flavors: season-all, and salt-pepper-garlic powder. The season-all ones were the overall favorites.

How weird is that?

Brian said...

Thou shalt steam thy artichokes and dip them in melted butter mixed with a dash of various italian seasonings.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

Unknown said...

We've been throwing kale in our smoothies. It's not quite as yummy as spinach, but it packs a healthy punch!

Christi said...

First--I think I've missed the boat on kale. I don't even know what it looks like. Guess I'll have to google. Second---Artichoke heart pizza.... YUM!