Wednesday, April 14, 2010

spinning*

Mr. Yin and I have always been anti-salad spinner. We have been known to make fun of people who use them and always pretend that we want one when we're at TJMaxx. (At least we crack up each other!)

One time I was at Herman's. We took the bus to the the Castro Farmers Market and walked our treasures back to her house. There she whipped out her salad spinner and proceeded to wash the little Jewel lettuce we'd just purchased and then we had lunch. And I told her how silly I think salad spinners are.

About two months ago, I was sitting in a waiting room while Mr. Yin's head head was scanned, reading Martha Stewart Living. She was instructing me on how to wash and keep leafy greens. Take each leaf, she taught, wash it, and then dry it by rolling it in a flour sack dish towel and then store them in the fridge in a leafy green flour sack roll. I love Martha so I went home, got some lettuce, washed and rolled. Proud to know I could live without a salad spinner because Martha had shown me the better way.

I had salad for a few days and promptly forgot about the leafy rolls. Until a few weeks later I unrolled them and tossed sad, limp lettuce leaves into the grinder.

And for the first time I thought fondly of the salad spinner.

Flash forward a few weeks and I'm making kale chips. Washing each leaf individually, rolling them up in towels, and waiting for them to dry. I had so much kale I ran out of towels.

And for the second time I thought fondly of the salad spinner.

Monday I bought some more kale (the curly kind) to make more chips. And yesterday I bought a salad spinner at TJMaxx.

And today I spun the kale.

It took about as long as it usually takes me to dig out all of my towels.

And I'm having salad for lunch with spun lettuce.

I stand corrected, little salad spinner. Please forgive.

*not the kind with a bike

Update: The spun kale chips were mighty tasty. Not necessarily because they were spun but because I baked them for a shorter time on a lower heat and used only curly kale. So much easier than my friend Martha's prep process.

4 comments:

Harriet Toothfighter said...

I recently acquired a salad spinner. I like it. I like you too.

yours truly said...

I'm a huge fan of salad spinners. no matter how carefully I pat and shake my lettuce I can never get it dry and it's a long and tedious process and I get a puddle of water in my sandwich or at the bottom of my salad bowl. So I'm a huge fan of the ventricular force method.

Unknown said...

You just have to be careful what and who you make fun of these days. Sheesh.

becahdawn said...

salad spinner is on my desert island list!! use it almost every day. i'm glad you've been converted.

{we probably bought little gems @ the castro market, which is now 2 blocks from my house, la la la!}